Do you all make New Years Resolutions each year? Personally I've never partaken. I've always figured if I identified something about my lifestyle worth changing, why wait until Jan. 1st to do it? But this year I decided to give it a go... my resolution is to stop jumping to conclusions until I know all the details of the situation at hand (in other words, I copped out).
Seriously though, like everyone else, I too resolve to eat healthier. And yes, watching what you eat is an absolute nightmare over the holidays. BUT, it's a new year & I have the perfect recipe to help you stay on track with your resolution without compromising flavor.
This quinoa salad is a great side dish for salmon or chicken. It is chockfull of protein and healthy fats, plus it is gluten-free and can easily be made vegetarian and/or vegan.
Have a wonderful Thursday!!
Lemon Quinoa Cilantro Chickpea Salad
Adapted from: The Diva Dish
What You Need:
- 2/3 C dry quinoa
- 1 1/3 C chicken broth (or vegetable broth, for a vegetarian option)
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 C cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 C spinach
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 C onion
- 2 small cloves garlic
For the dressing
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp honey (or agave nectar, for a vegan option)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- Dash of salt & pepper
What You Do:
- Make quinoa according to box instructions, set aside to cool
- In a food processor, add the spinach & cilantro, set aside in a bowl
- Finely dice onion and garlic (in the food processor as well, if you'd like), stir into spinach and cilantro mixture
- Add tomatoes, avocado, and chickpeas to the green mixture, and then add the quinoa. Pop in the fridge for 10 minutes or more to allow the flavors to set before serving. Add salt & pepper to taste