Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
by Megan Kramer
Macaroni and cheese is, by definition, comfort food. To everyone. Always. While I adore this creamy delicious dish, I harldy ever make it because it's so high in fat and calories. Why is comfort food always so bad for us? I happened upon this recipe from Cooking Light that gave standard mac and cheese a makeover. It actually uses butternut squash in the sauce. I know it sounds a bit weird, but you actually can't even taste it! That, along with skim milk and Greek yogurt, make this mac and cheese a recipe you can add to your list of regulars. Trust me, you'll want to. And yes, I will have a second helping...
Creamy, Light, Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Adapted from Cooking Light
What you need:
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 1/4 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1 pound cooked pasta
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Coat 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Bring the squash, broth, milk and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the squash is tender, about 25 minutes.
- While still hot, put the mixture in the blender. Add salt, pepper. and Greek yogurt. Take out the center piece from the lid of the blender to let out the steam. Cover with a towel and blend until smooth. Place in a bowl and stir in Gruyere, Pecorino Romano, and 2 tbs of Parmigiano-Reggiano. Stir until combined.
- Put the pasta in your 9x13 pan. Add the cheese mixture over the top.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add the breadcrumbs, and cook for about 2 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from heat and stir in 2 tbs Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Sprinkle over the pasta and coat with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsely and enjoy!
Feed Me Phoebe: African Peanut Stew With Shrimp and Butternut Squash
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Spicy Thai Coconut Winter Squash Noodle Soup
The Heritage Cook: Spaghetti Squash Two Ways
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Roasted Winter Squash Muffins With Honey and Molasses
Virtually Homemade: Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese With Sage and Bacon Breadcrumbs
Red or Green?: Spicy Twice-Baked Stuffer Winter Squash
Devour: Rachael Ray's Easy Pumpkin and Winter Squash Lasagna
Thursday Night Dinner: Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
FN Dish: 5 Light Squash Recipes